Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Comic Review: Walking Dead 143

I was a late adapter to the Walking Dead series. I did not start reading it until 100+ issues in, sometime before Negan appeared. So my introduction to the series was reading the first two compendiums. The Walking Dead is my favorite ongoing title but after tearing through the first compendiums, getting a book, maybe two, a month is killer. 

Review Walking Dead 143 (potential spoilers – I try to be vague!)

 The Walking Dead 143
The series has been a little dull to me lately. I know it is just the calm before the storm but it's been a few months now and I'm ready to have my heart ripped out again. We got a little bit of excitement a couple issues back when Negan was accidentally let loose. Much to our surprise though, Negan minded his manners and returned to his cell willingly. Michonne reappearing has been comforting and makes me think we have some Samurai action on the horizon.

Carl  confronts Rick
Issue 143 begins with the fair well under way.  First of all, how weird is it that we have a fair going on in TWD? Many of the characters seem to find it as strange as I do as a reader. We get a brief glimpse of new, presumed baddy, Alpha at the fair and then focus on Ezekiel. Ezekiel has some really cheesy dialogue about missing Michonne. I thought much of the dialogue in this issue was bad.  I don’t usually have a problem with it. Carl is still with the Whisperers and he has taken notice of Alpha’s absence, as we know, Alpha is at the fair doing recon.  Rick, Andrea, Michonne and others are on their way to the Whisperer’s camp to retrieve Carl. In all honesty, I am not a huge advocate for the Carl-centric approach the book has seemed to take. I still love Rick, still want Rick to be THE guy, but we’ll see. Rick’s group is found by the Whisperers and he is taken solo to see Carl. Rick and Carl have somewhat of a confrontation that I thought was a little bizarre, at least some of the dialogue seemed like it was out of left field. I guess Carl is just a big boy now and needs Daddy to know, he is also very enamored with Lydia and maybe not thinking straight. Alpha soon reappears at the camp. If you are one of the people that have their doubts about whether or not Alpha is the next major villain in the series, the last few pages should give you your answer.

Alpha is for real?

 This issue was a mix of good and bad. I liked the cover, it features Carl holding hands with new gal pal, and licker of eye sockets, Lydia and she’s rocking the notorious Sheriff’s hat. The Charlie Adlard pencils are as good as always. I really did not like the dialogue. I don’t enjoy the relationship drama or the relative calm we’ve had for a while now, it hasn’t seemed like this book has been moving. That being said the last few panels and the letters column left me satisfied. The very last page is fantastic and has me really excited for what is to come. Between the last page and a certain panel with Alpha, that I don’t want to spoil, I really think you are going to want to read issue 144. If that isn’t enough to convince you, the letter column hinted, not so subtly, to expect something big in issue 144 so be sure to pick it up.


 You can find issue 143 at your local comic shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment