Wednesday, June 17, 2015

San Diego Comic Con Exclusive Figures Revealed - Ant Man Box Set & Dr. Strange Box Set

Hasbro has recently revealed the Marvel figures that will be sold exclusively at this years San Diego Comic Con. I look forward to this every year. The past few years Hasbro has released some incredible box sets including the highly sought after Uncanny X-Force, Thunderbolts, and Thanos Imperative box sets. The sets always feature exclusive figures that we won't ever come across at the store. The exclusivity of the sets make them highly collectible and they always fetch big bucks on eBay. I have been eyeing the Uncanny X-Force set for years, it was one of my favorite series ever, but I couldn't bring myself to bite the bullet and pay $150+. Lately that set has been selling for $200+. Recently I spent nearly $50 on just one of the figures from last year's Thanos set, it came with 5 and sold at SDCC for $99. One of the figures I have been wanting most has been Magik from the recent Uncanny X-Men series, lo and behold, Hasbro has included her in this year's SDCC exclusive set!

 The Dr. Strange box set that is being released at SDCC this year looks incredible! First of all, the packaging looks Amazing! The box is designed to look like Dr. Strange's Book of Vishanti and it comes with a wearable Eye of Agamotto! Besides the very cool design this set is so great because Hasbro is offering some characters that appeal to those of us that REALLY read comics. A lot of people may recognize Dr. Strange, even in his astral form, but Brother Voodoo, Dread Dormammu, Hela, and Magik...those are for the diehards! The release of this set and Dr. Strange being in the current Hulk Buster wave of legends makes me think that Hasbro will not be doing a Dr. Strange Marvel Legend wave when the film is released next year. The set will sell for $99 at SDCC and limited quantities will be released on Hasbro Toy Shop after the show. I have my google alerts set so I can hopefully snag a set on there. I am sure this will fetch a pretty penny on eBay, actually I have already seen a few pop up on eBay and they are asking a lot more than retail.


The other set being released this year coincides with the upcoming Ant-Man movie that is released on July 17th. It features a 12" Giant Man, a 6" Goliath, a 3.75" Hank Pym with lab coat, a 1.5" Scott Lang Ant-Man figure and finally a 1" Hank Pym Ant-Man.  I am mostly excited for this set because I'd love to get my hands on the new Giant Man figure. Back in the day when Marvel Legends were being made by Toy Biz, Giant Man, was a build a figure for one of their waves. I have always loved that figure but have not invested in one, they sell for about $170 - $200 these days and tracking down all the pieces individually would be quite the task. I figure this new Giant Man is a pretty good substitute. This Giant Man should look pretty cool paired with the normal sized Giant Man found in the Ant-Man legends wave that is hitting stores this summer. I'm not overly impressed with the Goliath figure but I love that character, I'd probably rather have the old version that Toy Biz released years ago. It can be found for around $30. I do not collect the Marvel Universe/Infinite figures so the 3.75" Hank Pym isn't a real big selling point for me either. This set will be sold for $64.99 at SDCC. I'm going to try and acquire one for the Giant Man figure. I just saw one on eBay that sold for $120 so seems like it should be a safe investment...

No comments:

Post a Comment