Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Post Spotlight: Best/Worst Dads in Comic Books

I know it's a little late for Father's Day but I came across a great blog post on the best and worst comic book dads that I wanted to share. The post, "Top 5 Best/Worse Fathers in Comics!" can be found on the Midtown Comics Blog.

It's a great list they compiled. It really got me thinking, what do Disney movies and Comics have in common? Dead Parents! Not to be too morbid or insensitive, but it's true! Pretty much every Disney character I can think of has at least one dead parent and I haven't thought about it too much, but that is the case in a ton of comics too. As I was reading through the Midtown Comics Blog post on best/worst fathers in Comics, I couldn't help but notice the list was made up of dead dads or father figures that took the place of dead fathers. On the list we had Alfred Pennyworth...not a father, he's Batman's butler, Jonathan Kent, Superman's Earthly father, replacing his deceased father, Uncle Ben, well he's an Uncle, and Jack Murdock, Daredevil's father, also deceased. They put Rick Grimes of Walking Dead in the 5 spot and I think he's getting the shaft a little bit. He is definitely ahead of Jack Murdock and Alfred shouldn't even count. Rick has had the toughest job of any of these Dads and he's still doing his thing. Even right now he's out there in the zombie invested wilderness trying to save his son from the Whisperers, I mean come on, number 5...

My vote for best Dad...Rick Grimes (Walking Dead)

I really got a kick out of their rankings for the top 5 worst Dads. Especially because I am not even sure if Magneto IS a Dad anymore, last I knew Marvel had "revealed" that Magneto was not actually the father of Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch. Side note...I do not like Marvel changing cannon to accommodate the Marvel film universe. Getting back on track, Norman Osborn has to be higher on this list, right? Besides experimenting on his son and paving the way for his son to become a super villain, he impregnated his son's girlfriend! That's worthy of the #1 spot to me. Another side note...Marvel also retroactively had Norman Osborn impregnate Gwen Stacy, who was the girlfriend of his son's best friend! I don't always understand Marvel...

My Vote for WORST Dad...Norman Osborn (Amazing Spider-Man)


 I did appreciate that they put Deadshot at #1 because after I saw Will Smith, who is playing Deadshot in Suicide Squad, allowed his son to wear a white batman suit to Kanye West's wedding I think he may be deserving of a spot on some kind of list. Just kidding, Will!

Aren't you glad you collect comics??

This was a really fun article, go read it on their site and maybe let them know what you think or suggest your own comic dads for the list!


Happy (belated) Father's Day to all the Dads out there!

My Daughter and I at Wizard World Comic Con

No comments:

Post a Comment